Teacher who love teaching...teach children to love learning.

I love teaching with every fiber of my being. I love watching faces light up in understanding. I love seeing a spark of curiosity or excitement.  I love learning. I love hearing the ideas, thoughts, and insights unique to each individual student. I love the students. Every. Single. One.

But....teaching is exhausting. Mentally. Physically. Emotionally. Sometimes it's hard. Sometimes I come home and cry. Sometimes it's frustrating. Sometimes I have no idea what to do.

So...I keep trying. Keep pushing. Keep giving. Because as long as my students are trying, I will never give up. I will explain something a million times and a million different ways if that is what it takes. I won't give up on them. I won't give up on myself.

I don't want my students to just know how to multiply fractions. I want them to see why it makes sense. Understand how it works. Ask questions. See how it is useful in their lives. Draw a picture. Write a story. Make it mean something!

Today reinforces that it's all worth it...the time...the energy...and the love I gave to my fourth and fifth grade math classes. On this Valentine's day I felt more love than I could have imagined. It came in the form of a card with a note from all 104 of my students. Mine...because that's what they feel like. Here are some of the many precious notes I received:

"Mrs. Dwyer, I really love how you helped me go through everything I had trouble with. I will miss you."

"You make math so easy and fun."

"When I was confused you would help me. I learned a lot from you. I will not forget what you taught me (hopefully)!"

"Everyday I want to go to math class with you."

"I'm sorry for talking when you were teaching. The things that we did were fun."

"I like doing fractions with you because you make it more fun. You're a great teacher."

"Whatever class you teach they will be lucky. You helped me learn in fun ways."

"Thank you for never giving up on me and for helping me all the time..."

If my class(es) were reading this I would tell them: thank you. I have learned more from you than you could have possibly learned from me. I hope you work hard, make good choices, and think about others before yourself. And never ever give up on yourself.

Teaching is worth it. Every bit of it.

Comments

Rewind