Roamin' around Rome

Get it roamin'...Roman. Clever, right? Patrick came up with it so...I'm really just stealing his brilliant ideas.

Day 10: Bible study and beach

After school, I met up with Sarai, Judith, and Damaris. We went to the beach in Badalona and it was so beautiful. I can only remember going to the beach one time before this. Barcelona is so beautiful--it has both the mountains and the beach. There was a rope-like jungle gym that we climbed on. Sarai got to the very top and took some beautiful pictures of the beach.



All four of us :)

The Christian girls here in Spain have really helped make this experience fun. It is always a blessing to spend time with sisters! Even with a language barrier, we always end up laughing and having a great time. I can help them practice their English and they always teach me new Spanish words/phrases when we are together. I'm pretty sure I'm going to come back to Illinois speaking fluent Spanish...or not...but I will know more than I did when I came here.

Later that night, I packed for Rome...let the adventures begin!

Day 11: First day in Rome-Vatican, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and many more...

Wow this day was overwhelming. We saw so much of Rome and walked and walked and walked. My feet have blisters. Ouch! BUT it was worth it. 

We also got lost and lost again. Rome is a very confusing city. Although this sometimes turned out to be good because we experienced what some of the real Rome is (away from the touristy parts). We found restaurants with quaint tables and excellent atmosphere. We found places where you sit at a table with strangers and they argue over what you should order. We found spots in Rome that were not so beautiful, but filled with real Italian people. We found ciao's and tourists and layers upon layers of history. 

Here are some of the highlights of the day in photographs:
My first pizza in Rome
The ceilings were my favorite parts of the Vatican. I wanted to walk with my head tilted upward the entire time. We also saw the Sistine Chapel which was fantastic, but unfortunately you are unable to take pictures or speak while you are inside. It was quite a sight to see. 

This was one of my favorite views in Rome and sadly this picture does not do it justice. It was so peaceful and beautiful that I could have stayed there quite content-fully all day.

Plaza Navona at night

The Pantheon..we didn't have time to go in...so I guess that means I have to come back.

This man was a street performer of sorts and a true artist with spray paint. It was amazing to watch him work.

Rome is such a romantic place at night. This truly made me miss my husband. However, I did throw a euro in the fountain, so my fate is sealed...we will be back.

My first hostel experience. It was a good experience and I would definitely recommend it for someone who wants to travel cheaply in Europe.

Inside our room at the hostel.

Day 12: Our second day in Rome-the Catacombs, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, and Colosseum.

Due to a bit of confusion in the morning, I ventured alone with Rachel to the Catacombs. It took FOREVER to get there...not only because it is out in the middle of nowhere, but also because we missed our bus stop and had to ride the entire bus cycle. Que fuerte! However, we eventually made it. Then we had a tour of the Forum, Palatine Hill, and Colosseum. Our tour guide did a great job of explaining the layers of history in this area of Rome as well as making the ruins come to life. 

Now on to what you are really interested in...the pictures!

Sheep near the Catacombs

ME...as if you didn't know.

The grounds around the Catacombs were beautiful, but you were not allowed to take pictures inside. They probably would have been bad anyways due to the lack of light in several areas. 

The entrance to the Catacombs

One of the benefits of walking everywhere is running into archaeological gems that I didn't know existed. We saw so much more of Rome than we ever would have if we rode a bus or the metro. This is a beautiful gate outside a Catholic church we came across.

Finally inside the Roman Forum! I have waited for this for a long time. The history and beauty displayed by these ruins are only a shadow of what it once was. 


This is a good example of "layers of history." This was originally a temple built for Faustina by Antonius (who gives a temple to their wife?!...Emperors do, of course!). This is what it originally was designed for and is shown in the pillars, stairs, alters, and half-statue in the front). However, later in history the ground level rose due to floods leaving deposits of mud. It was eventually turned into a church which is why it is so well preserved. So the blue door was built when the it was turned into a church. If you look closely on the pillars you can also see lines across the top which are marks that were left behind by people trying to pull down the pillars in order to use the marble to build something else. However, the pillars were buried in so much mud that they refused to budge and so they remain.

Palatine Hill

The Colosseum

Inside the Colosseum


Delicious pasta (Rigatoni alla carbonata) that I had at the restaurant listed shown in the picture below. It was absolutely delicious and a specialty in Rome.


Day 13: The ride home, worship, and the beach!

 Boarding the plane to go back to Barcelona. We had a great visit in Rome. While I enjoyed viewed the historical sights, I definitely prefer Barcelona. Needless to say, I was excited to go back.

 
Goodbye Rome!

 


Welcome "home"

 After lots of searching we finally found some crackers (without leaven) and grapes in order to make our own Lord's supper. We studied the Bible near the water and had our own worship service since our flight conflicted with worship service in Badalona.
Then we went to see some of the landmarks in Barcelona. This is Christopher Columbus pointing towards America.

Live sculptures

That's all folks. Buenas noches!







Comments

Rewind